Benimaru Nikaido (二階堂 紅丸, Nikaidō Benimaru) is a The King of Fighters character and one of Kyo Kusanagi‘s friends. His straight hair stays up during fights due to a rather exaggerated case of electrostatics. His official nickname is The Shooting Star.
Benimaru, while sometimes outspoken and flamboyant, means business in battle as he’s very proud of his skills and doesn’t want anyone to look down on him for his good looks. He also respects ladies though he tends to be more than a flighty flirt. Although he seems to have an indecisive mind, Benimaru has a heart of gold. His loyalty and respect can go a long way.
Despite his American heritage, he carries many Japanese mannerisms. Though he would never openly admit it aloud, his pride as a professional fighter was shaken when Kyo beat him before 1994 and he secretly trains for a rematch.
- Electrokinesis – Benimaru can control electricity.
- Static – Benimaru can create static around his body. This is what makes his hair upwards.
- Electric Fist – Benimaru can create an electric ball around his fist.
- Thunder – Benimaru can summon lightning from the sky. Benimaru can also form sparks on the ground and move them upwards.
- Discharge – Benimaru can release an electric discharge by touching his enemy.
- Electric Attacks – Benimaru can fuel his attacks with electric energy, especially from lightning he summons.
- Super-Speed – Benimaru can move himself so quickly that he leaves several images of himself when he moves.
- Cooking – Benimaru is an accomplished cook.
- Modeling – Benimaru is a professional model by occupation.
- Shooting – Benimaru has interests and has practiced shooting with rifles.
Benimaru specializes in shooting techniques and electricity, though his fighting style is more focused on agility and less on actual submission and raw power, focusing on agile kicks and decent range.
His character also pays homage to the Tatsunoko character, Hurricane Polymar. The attacks Shinkuu Katategoma (Vacuum One-Handed Top), Handou Sandan Geri (Recoiling Three-Stage Kick) and Gen’ei Hurricane (Phantom Hurricane) take their names and functions directly from the aforementioned character.
Several other of his moves also take their namesakes from various anime and manga, including:
- Benimaru Coleda/Benimaru Collider; from Gunbuster
- Elec-Trigger; from Super Robot Red Baron
- Flying Drill, Raijiken (Thunder Quiver Fist) and Raikouken (Lightning Fist); from Casshern, original move name is Denkou Punch (Voltaic Punch).
- Iai Geri (Re-sheath Kick); from Kako Teito: Ore wa Shubei!.
Despite all of these anime-based references, Benimaru ironically dislikes otaku.
More of its story here: