The King of Fighters All Star is a free to play, mobile beat’em up RPG game released for iOS and Android, developed by a South Korean gaming company Netmarble authorized by SNK. The game brings together all the characters of the KOF series up to The King of Fighters XIV.
While including KOF series fighters, the game also includes limited crossover events with other franchises and companies. Most notable crossovers have been Gintama (2018, 2020), Samurai Shodown (2019), Tekken (2019), WWE (2020), Seven Knights (2020), The Seven Deadly Sins (2021), and Dead or Alive (2021). Netmarble stated that more crossovers are in discussions. In addition to crossovers, the game also holds special events that introduces fighters with holiday themes and genderbent characters.
- Gintama – First updated in October 12th, 2018 only for Japanese servers. On July 23rd, 2020 a 2nd event was released, this time being released in all versions. 1st event Added Gintoki Sakata, Shinsuke Takasugi, Sougo Okita and Toushirou Hijikata with Kagura and Isao Kondou being free and unlockable, respectively. 2nd Event added White Yaksha Gintoki Sakata, Kamui, Kotarou Katsura, & Elizabeth, with Elizabeth being given for free while Kagura and Isao Kondou are unlockables.
- Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa’s Revenge – First updated in May 20th, 2019 for Japanese and Korean servers. Added Haohmaru, Genjuro Kibagami, Charlotte Christine de Colde and Rimururu with Ukyo Tachibana and Shiro Tokisada Amakusa being free and unlockable, respectively.
- Tekken 7 – First updated in November 20th, 2019. Added Jin Kazama, Kazuya Mishima, Heihachi Mishima, Ling Xiaoyu (two variants) and Paul Phoenix with “Traditional” Jin Kazama and Armor King II being free and unlockable, respectively.
- WWE – First updated in May 13th, 2020. Added The Rock, John Cena, The Undertaker, Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch with Kofi Kingston, “The People’s Champion” variant of The Rock and the “Doctor of Thuganomics” variant of John Cena being free and unlockable, respectively.
- Seven Knights (2020) – First updated in November 26, 2020. Volume 1 adds Rudy, Shane and Rachel Agni, with Rachel being given for free. “Dellons” Snolled Black Scythe and Eileene Heron are included at Volume 2 around early December 2020.
- The Seven Deadly Sins: Dragon’s Judgement – First updated in March 30th, 2021. Volume 1 adds Meliodas, Ban, Merlin, and Elizabeth Liones, with Elizabeth and the “Tavern Master” variant of Meliodas being given for free. King Harlequin, Diane, and the “Dancer” variant of Elizabeth Liones are included at Volume 2 around at early April 2021.
- Dead or Alive 6 – First updated in July 29th, 2021, which adds Kasumi, Marie Rose, Nyotengu, and Honoka, along with the “Angel of Paradise” variant of themselves.
The player wakes up in the world of The King of Fighters without any memory to remember. With the help of an energetic girl named Noah, the player must participate in the tournaments from The King of Fighters ’94 (and onward), and wins the tournaments in order to regain their memory. Starting from the very beginning (KOF ’94), the player must go through each chapters (categorized in specific years) for each saga with NESTS saga being the most recent update.
While including all fighters from the main KOF series, the game implements a gacha system where certain characters are only available for a limted time. These “festa” characters are only obtainable through summons and not by regular unlocking.
Another feature is the battle card system, where certain special moves are unlocked by equipping a matching battle card suited for the specific fighter. Depending on the card, it unlocks super skills that may cost from three bars to five bars of power with having weaker stats for lesser costs. Most cards need to be pulled or manually selected (with the use of tickets), but some are unlockable through Epic Quests (usually costs three bars).
The game also features multiple remixes of BGM’s from previous installments depending on the character or his/her team. In addition to soundtracks, the game also includes many stages reminiscent of previous SNK series and respective franchises (for crossovers i.e. Tekken).
Not a fighting game but the collab needs to be told.