At the age of five, Chun-Li saw her first classical Chinese play, Peking Opera, and her first Bruce Lee movie, which fascinated her and also became part of the reasons why she started practicing martial arts.
She began by learning Tai Chi. However, Tai Chi was much different from the gorgeous movements she remembered from Peking Opera. Soon afterwards, her father taught her Hongquan as well as various basic exercises from then on. With that, Chun-Li’s skills in Chinese martial arts improved rapidly. Chun-Li used mostly kicks when fighting. This was something she picked up from her father, who was also said to have “legendary legs.” Chun-Li continued to develop her kick attacks, embracing techniques from a variety of fighting styles, such as Chinese martial arts, capoeira, battle karate, and taekwondo, thus eventually creating her own style.
Chun-Li would later become a detective at the age of eighteen in hopes of finding her missing father. She later followed in her father’s footsteps and become a narcotics investigator at the I.C.P.O (International Criminal Police Organization), also known as Interpol, working as the organization’s anti-Shadaloo investigator. Chun-Li was known as the “black sheep of the I.C.P.O.”, as she was investigating Shadaloo for the illegal sales of narcotics and weapons when said evil organization got their hold of the high-ups of Interpol.
Blue Phoenix Ranger
- Houkouen –
- Kasairyuu – An enhanced, blazing kick that evades enemy attacks and hits with such force that it rends the earth asunder.
- Hyakugouka – Chun-Li repeatedly hits her target with a rapid flurry of kicks.
- Phoenix Dance – Chun-Li does a high kick to send her opponents into the air, then spins and flies up into the air with energy constucts of phoenix wings, then repeatedly kicks the target in various ways sending then hurtling towards the ground with her last kick.
- Spinning Phoenix – A variant of Chun-Li’s famed Spinning Bird Kick attack, where she spins with her legs stretched out to repeatedly kick her opponent. Enhanced by her Ranger powers, the kick sets her foe ablaze with flame energy from her feet.
- Pyrokinesis/Flame Constucts – Chun-Li can manipulate flame with her Phoenix powers to enhance her attacks or create constructs such as flaming bird wings for limited flight capability.